HMCS Sudbury

Rescue of the Makedonia - by Edward Goodall

Rescue of the Makedonia

Edward Goodall


The Makedonia was a Greek freighter, weighing 8200 tons that ran into trouble in 1955 and was subsequently rescued by the HMCS Sudbury in a 3000-mile tow from the Bearing Sea to Vancouver, BC. The Makedonia had run into trouble in rough weather, when the vessel “nose-dived” into a trough, which caused her propeller to kick up out of the water, causing the shaft to shake loose and risk damage to the vessel’s plates. The only remedy was to stop the engine and send a call for help. 

The call was answered by the HMCS Sudbury of Island Tug and Barge of Victoria, BC in its first deep-salvage job. The Sudbury towed the Makedonia first to Adak, Alaska for repairs. From there the vessels next travelled to Kodiak after drifting off course. From Kodiak, the Sudbury with the Makedonia in tow headed toward Queen Charlotte Strait and onward to the Inside Passage and subsequently on to Vancouver Harbour, finally arriving in Victoria after 41 days.

"The Rescue of the S.S. Glafkos" Vicinity Amphitrite Point, Barkley Sound, Jan. 1st, 1962 - by Edward Goodall<br />

The Rescue of the S.S. Glafkos

Edward Goodall


The Glafkos was a Greek freighter that hit a reef near Amphitrite Point in 1962. The vessel ran ashore on George Fraser Island in Barkley Sound and was pierced through its double hull by a “pinnacle of rock”.

The Sudbury was dispatched with the Island Challenger to help salvage the vessel. The weather was bad and challenges were faced in trying to attach connecting a line to the vessel. The poor weather also caused the Island Challenger to be “swept across the Sudbury’s bow” and the towlines to become entangled in the Sudbury’s propeller. Luckily, the Sudbury’s Master was alert and was able to act quickly to shut down the Sudbury’s engines so as to dislodge the towline. It meant that the Island Challenger had to head in so as to have repairs made while the Sudbury remained to continue to salvage.

After a tense period in which it seemed that the weather would drive the Glafkos into the reefs, the Sudbury was able to get the freighter under control. It was possible to evacuate the 22-man crew of the Glafkos via helicopter and once the Island Challenger was repaired, the two vessels were able to tow the Glafkos back to Victoria together.

Island Tug and Barge

Island Tug and Barge was first founded by Harold B. Elworthy  and the Coulson brothers in 1925. The first tugs bought by the company were the coastal tug boat Quinitsa and the harbour tugboat Dellac. In 1926 Island Tug and Barge was able to purchase the fleet and business of Gardiner Towing Company and in subsequent years the company as able to add additional tugs and barges to their fleet.

In the 1940s, after Elworthy joined Straits Towing Company Limited, the company purchased Island Tug and Barge, but Elworthy would later dissolve his partnership with Stanley McKeen of Straits Towing and took his share of the company’s assets and re-established Island Tug and Barge. In 1952, the company purchased Gore Tugboat Company Ltd. It was also around this time that Elworthy purchased the large vessel, HMCS Sudbury, which he would convert as a salvage ship. Throughout subsequent years the company would go through additional changes as Island Tug and Barge amalgamated and renegotiated with several other tug companies until it  joined with Vancouver Tug  to form what is today Seaspan. The name would later be purchased by the Shields family in 1993.

Island Tug and Barge still exists today as a subsidiary of Tidewater Canada, Incorporated under the Shields family.

About the Artist

Edward Goodall was a Canadian artist and came by the profession honestly through both his great grandfather and his grandfather. His uncle was also quite a successful artist. His father, however, who was a barrister, solicitor, felt that he should seek other professions and keep art to a hobby.

Goodall held many various jobs in his life but continued to practice his art and develop his own style. He would go on to have success both in his careers and with his art.  He is best known for his cards and calendars showcasing his drawings.

He finally developed an association with Canadian Stevedoring for which he provided drawings for their calendars. Their calendars were very popular as was his artwork, so much so that when calendars were produced with photographs rather than his artwork people questioned why his artwork wasn’t being used. He would continue to work for Canadian Stevedoring until his death in 1982.